Thursday, May 12, 2011

Beer, Beer, Beer, Tiddley, Beer, Beer, Beer

Brewing is in full swing at Hob Knob Brewery. To say this has become an obsession would be an understatement. Knowing me though, I've had numerous obsession's in the past, so we'll see how long this one survives! Still, this one has had a pretty firm hold on me over the last year I've been brewing, and I think it *might* be a safe bet to say that I might be starting a nanobrewery sometime next year that I can run out of my garage on the weekends. A nanobrewery is a 1-2bbl system, with 1bbl (beer barrel) being 31 gallons. I figure I already brew 5 gallon batches on the weekend, so won't be much difference between that and a 31 gallon batch - just bigger equipment.

I'm reading a bunch of stuff on brewing, including "Starting Your Own Brewery", by the brewer's association, which has loads of great information. I just started my own hop garden with 7 plants - 2 cascade hops, 2 fuggle english hops, 1 jumbo nugget, 1 zues, and 1 golden. Besides that, every new trinket I find for the (now upgraded to 10g) brewery, opens up a new world of wonderment and curiousness. This Saturday, I'll be stewarding the local US Open Beer Championship for my local home brew club, the Carolina Brewmasters.

The beers I've been brewing have gotten better and better looking - especially now that the system has a complete 5 to 1 micron filtering system. Here's the latest - a golden ale:


I'm working on a honey brown ale right behind the golden ale. Here's a shot in the brew kettle!


After fermenting, she sits in the secondary to clear and age. By the way, that born on date b.s. the big box breweries put out...complete hogwash. A good beer needs to mature. So I'll leave most beers around 4 weeks in this secondary 'carboy' (unless the kegerator is running low! :D)


And last but not least...it's time to enjoy.


I plan on doing a lot of brewing, especially since I just got my all grain system and filtration system. To all my buddies, I'm looking for honest feedback (I might even create a feedback form lol), to identify recipes that are good and bad. You won't hurt my feelings if you say the beer sucks, but it's important that I get a general feel with how well my brews are received. Finally, make sure you guys come on up for a good brew! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment