Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My First Brew Is Almost Done!

I really haven't posted much in a while because I've been so busy! First batch of lakeside ale is set to come out of the fermenter, and age a bit more in the carboy. Phil, at the elks, was nice enough to outfit me (albeit a few months ago...sorry it took me so long to get started!) with about 50% of the stuff I needed to start brewing. Phil was nice enough to give me some kegs, tubing, cooling tubs, kettle, and a bunch of other stuff. From there, I took about a 30 minute trip over to Belmont, and picked up the remainder of the things I needed to get started from Alternative Beverage. I picked up my CO2 tank and regulator, along with my tap. I also got all the ingredients for my first batch which I affectionately dubbed, "Lakeside Ale"! It's supposed to be very similar to New Castle if you've had that beer.

I was surprised at just how easy the entire process was (save the sanitation). Alternative Bev provides you with these ingredient kits that include all of your grains/hops/muslin bags/and other odds and ends. From there its as easy as making something from Betty Crocker, and waiting.

You start out by "mashing" your beer. Mashing is the process of soaking malted barley, other grains, etc., in order to convert starch into sugars as part of the brewing process. The concoction that is produced provides both the flavor and the sugars for the yeast to eat and live out their amazingly short life span.

Mashing the grains in my kettle:



After chilling the concoction that is produced in the mashing process, you are left with wort. Wort is basically young (unfermented) beer.

From there, I added it to my fermentation bucket. After about 10 days, it's almost done fermenting.

Just look at that color!



Next, the beer went into the carboy to age and settle for another 2 weeks. I'll be starting on my second brew (a sierra nevada!)

Aging to Pefection



From there, I force carbonate using my CO2 tank from alternative beverage, and wait about a week.

And last, but certainly not least, the final product!



Even hoser took a break from her normal scotch and enjoyed a bit of ale...



The consensus from a few friends and family is in: 8/10. Let's home my sierra that's in the fermenter right now, makes a jump up to 9 or even 10/10!!

1 comment:

  1. Needs to be called "Lever Lager" not this Lakeside stuff.........as none of us live on a Lake so we'd have to travel just to sit "lakeside" to enjoy a "Lakeside Ale"!

    ReplyDelete